help-bison

Re: how to get left hand side symbol in action

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: Re: how to get left hand side symbol in action
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 16:28:15 +0200

On Freitag, 10. Mai 2019 06:57:00 CEST Derek Clegg wrote:
> In fact, I do not think error messages in the generated parser should be
> provided by bison, except as a trivial default. Instead, I’d like to see
> bison call a function (which I provide) when a syntax error occurs, with a
> list of what was expected along with what was encountered. Obviously, they
> should be provided without translation. That would be the most flexible.

Yep, I can just agree.

I actually almost never use the built-in error messages except of for early
prototyping or something like that. Because being honest, probably everybody
has a completely different opinion about how an appropriate representation of
an error message in a final software release should look like exactly.

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck