question about copy

From: Michael Coffman
Subject: question about copy
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:07:12 -0600 (MDT)

I am confused about how copy should work.  Here is the section I am testing

copy:
  ${masterfiles}/foo
  dest=${testdir}/foo
  type=mtime
  mode=0444

If I change the file ${masterfiles}/foo, the dest file is overwritten with
the master copy.  If I modify the ${testdir}/foo file, nothing happens,

I was under the impression from the docs that if there was a difference between
the files, the dest copy would be updated with the master-file.

In the reference manual under the type section it says:

"An 'mtime' comparison does not take into account changes of file permissions,
only modifications to the contents of the files"

What does this mean?

-MichaelC
-- Life is lived forward but understood backward.