Re: Process Options

From: John Valdes
Subject: Re: Process Options
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:49:27 -0500

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 11:53:54AM +0200, Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> I am thinking of changing the default process options for BSD-like
> systems. On linux, one can write
>
> ps auxw
>
> to get a long listing with usernames. Does anynone know if this
> works, or a similar thing on BSD variants? Free/Open/Net/I etc.

I believe that all versions of "ps" which support the "ax" options
also support the "u" and "w" options (I think this is "standard" BSD
ps behavior).  Without the "w", output is limited to 80 columns (or
the width of the terminal; don't know what that would be for cfengine
run out of cron...).  With one "w", output is limited to 132 columns.
With two "w", output width isn't limited at all (so it reports the
complete command line).

Besides the systems others have already mentioned, SunOS 4, AIX & OSF1
(aka Digital/Tru64 Unix) all support "ps auxww".  IMHO, "ps auxww" is
much superior to "ps -ef"... :)

John