Master file generation

From: Hal Wine
Subject: Master file generation
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:18:57 -0700

I'm just beginning to look into CFEngine for use in a 3-tiered heterogeneous
environment.

It appears that, once I have a set of master files to support a given
configuration, CFEngine will handle distribution quite well. However, I'm
unclear about it's ability to help with the generation of the master files.

In need to create configuration file sets for a finite (but growing) list of
tier/machine combinations. (E.g. all 3 tiers on one box for demo, through
clusters serving each tier.)

In my case, I'm primarily concerned with the generation of a correct set of
Java .property files for the various possible configurations. The simplest
example of a problem is that the system is sometimes hosted under Unix, and
sometimes under NT, so any file system paths must be rendered in the correct
syntax.

A slight variation on the problem is the web server used may vary, and each
vendor has their own config file syntax. Some of the file formats appear to
be difficult to generate or modify using the CFEngine tools (though I
haven't fully groked them yet). For example, Netscape ACL files, which are
sometimes re-ordered by the GUI interface.

My ideal world would be if there were a master description file that
described, in a human readable form, the rules for constructing the
configuration files for any desired permutation of machines.

Am I trying to use CFEngine for a task for which it is not well suited?

Thanks,
Hal Wine / Sr. Configuration Manager
eScene Networks, Inc. / Streaming Solutions for Business / www.escene.com
Ph 415.901.4137