Re: Master file generation

From: Andrews, Martin
Subject: Re: Master file generation
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:26:50 -0400

I generally create all variant configuration files on my master machine.
I use make and perl scripts to generate those files in a somewhat ad-hoc
fashion. Once generated I use cfengine to distribute the files, set
permissions, and update processes as needed. I like this because errors
in configuration generation can be caught before distributing the update
to all my machines. I also prefer having absolute definitions for my
configuration files instead of doing differential editing (absolute is
repeatable). I may run into scaling problems later (I only have a couple
hundred machines now) but then I suppose I could distribute the config
file generation across a hierarchy of master machines.

Martin