help a newbie, a problem with defining groups

From: Scott J. D'Aquila
Subject: help a newbie, a problem with defining groups
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:18:55 -0400

Hello;
   I am trying to get cfengine up and running at my site. I have looked
through this list and at the manuals for some time and can't find an
answer, so please help me to get going.
   The problem is this...I create a cf.groups, and include it. However,
there are problems with my groups. My groups look like this:

groups:

 # first groups listed by their purpose
 iagr = ( mail pro-web1 pro-web2 pro-web3 pro-web4 staging-web mail
192.168.11.1
40 )

 nameservers = ( mail )
 webservers  = ( staging-web pro-web1 pro-web2 pro-web3 pro-web4 )
 dbservers   = ( 192.168.11.140 )
 intranet    = ( mon )
 monservers  = ( mon )
 cfserver    = ( mon )
 mail        = ( mail )
 ftp         = ( ftp )

When I run the engine in debug mode, I get the follwing messages,
indicative of a problem:
Handling group item (mail) in group (iagr), type=0
No match of class
HandleItem(pro-web1)
simple item = (pro-web1)
Handling group item (pro-web1) in group (iagr), type=0
No match of class
HandleItem(pro-web2)
simple item = (pro-web2)
Handling group item (pro-web2) in group (iagr), type=0
No match of class
HandleItem(pro-web3)
simple item = (pro-web3)
Handling group item (pro-web3) in group (iagr), type=0
No match of class
HandleItem(pro-web4)
simple item = (pro-web4)
Handling group item (pro-web4) in group (iagr), type=0

And the following groups are defined:
Defined Classes = ( any redhat redhat_7 redhat_7_0 opt_dry_run opt_debug
Thursday Hr10 Min06 Min05_10 Day2 August Yr2001 linux mon 32_bit
linux_2_4_7 i686 linux_i686 linux_i686_2_4_7
linux_i686_2_4_7__1_SMP_Fri_Jul_27_11_03_49_EDT_2001 linux_gnu 127_0_0
127_0_0_1 localhost_localdomain localhost 192_168_1_130 mon_iagr_n
et intranet monservers cfserver )

As you can see, only groups with the host "mon" can create a working
group. This is the local host which I am running cfengine on. So, could
the problem be in the dashes of the hostnames, as was mentioned in
with underscores to no avail...also, the host mail, and the db host,
represented by its IP address don't work either, so I am tempted to
think its something else. Do I have to have cfengine installed on ALL
these hosts, with something like rsh access with .rhosts to trust the
remote user, so that cfengine can talk to the other machines?

Please help, I am very confused, and am dying to get this system up and
running. Also, I am running Redat 7.0, kernel 2.4.7, and I am running
the most recent version of cfengine (2.0a8).

/s
Scott D'Aquila
Network Architect
Intermedia Advertising Group