Re: Q: defining classes from shell command output

From: Chris Edillon
Subject: Re: Q: defining classes from shell command output
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 02:01:25 -0400 (GMT+4)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, John Wieczorek wrote:

> It appears that cfengine defines a hard class based on the kernel arch of
> the build machine. I'm running the cfengine binary over NFS, so the build
> arch and the host arch might not be the same.
> In my list of defined classes "32_bit" (the build arch) always appears
> regardless of the hosts kernel arch, which is why I was
> trying another way of defining the class...

  ok, makes sense.  in my environment we keep the cfengine binary,
configuration files, and support programs/scripts all on the clients
and keep them updated from a central location via an rsync call from
cfengine.  since cfengine is designed to keep a specific machine in
a state and thus runs locally instead of in a client/server atmosphere,
we try to have as few network dependencies in our cfengine setup as
we can.  it can't be avoided entirely when keeping configuration files
updated from a master location, but at least if there is a network
problem at the time the rsync is attempted, at least the rest of the
configuration can be run locally instead of having to skip the whole
process while waiting for the NFS server.  of course, environments
vary, so NFS might be the right thing for your particular location.

chris