anyone else used cfengine on NT?

From: Andrews, Martin
Subject: anyone else used cfengine on NT?
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:01:13 -0400

I have been using cfengine on our NT machines here for most of the year and
have had some success with it (network configuration, application
distribution). Is anyone else using cfengine under NT? Or tried and given
up? Or interested but have not tried yet (and why not)? I want to collect
information to recommend improvements for cfengine2. If there are enough
people that have used cfengine under NT I will put together a more format
survey - for now just email me your comments.

To provide some food for thought: here are the primary things I would like
to see:

* Windows file path support - add support for standard NT file path syntax
(c:\winnt\...) as it would greatly simplify communicating with other
programs under NT (I currently use perl to translate paths between the
cygwin name space and the NT name space).

* Fix NT ACLs to only update ACL when needed

Other possibilities:

* Better handling of UNIX permissions. Maybe I am missing something but
these permissions seem to be ignored by NT (cygwin seems to implement them
in a discretionary manner to ease porting) and some information seems to be
lost as cfengine tries to update the permissions every time I run cfengine.

* Use spawn() instead of fork() where possible to improve performance.

* Registry manipulation.

Martin

---
Martin Andrews