Re: Fw: cfengine (blah01) (249)

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: Fw: cfengine (blah01) (249)
Date: 11 Sep 2001 07:14:37 +0200

    Katherine> Hey guys, My cfengine implementation was rocking along
    Katherine> just fine for weeks. Until recently, all HP systems
    Katherine> have been updating their core cfengine files just fine,
    Katherine> but now several HP servers are spamming me with mail
    Katherine> everytime they tried to update the cfengine binary
    Katherine> (once per hour).  None of my cfengine configurations
    Katherine> have changed, nor has the cfengine binary.  The file
    Katherine> gets downloaded to cfengine.cfnew, but gets stuck when
    Katherine> trying to move it into place.  Again the cfengine
    Katherine> binary hasn't changed, so it shouldn't be downloading
    Katherine> anyway.  The cfengine binary is under the $(cfbin)
    Katherine> directory, and I have seperate binaries compiled for
    Katherine> each flavor of OS...

    Katherine> hpux10_20:: $(cfbin)/hp10 dest=$(cfbin) recurse=1
    Katherine> timestamp=preserve backup=false mode=a+rx server=XXXX

    Katherine> hpux11_00:: $(cfbin)/hp11 dest=$(cfbin) recurse=1
    Katherine> timestamp=preserve backup=false mode=a+rx server=XXXX

    Katherine> Any ideas why this might suddenly be occuring??

    Katherine> ****************************

    Katherine> This message originates from host blah01 on The full
    Katherine> command issued was:
    Katherine> /opt/cfengine/modules/cfupdate. +++++ cfengine:blah01:
    Katherine> Problem: could not install copy file as
    Katherine> /opt/cfengine/bin/cfengine, directory in the way?
    Katherine> cfengine:blah01: rename: Text file busy

Interesting, this is somthing I'd expect under Windows but I'd don't
know HPUX so I don't think it should occurr under Unix. Is there any
difference between the cfengine on the cfengine server and the HPUX
servers - try copying them both and diffing ? Has the clock on these
servers perhaps gotten out of sync with the the others (especially
because you are using timestamp=preserve) ?

Otherwise I cannot help, sorry.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--