Multiple Complex Tasks

From: Alex Gottschalk
Subject: Multiple Complex Tasks
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:22:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I've got a few faily complex cfengine recipes written, and I'm going nuts
trying to figure out the best way to bring it all together.

Right now, I have two separate files, cf.copy and cf.update.  The first
copies a new passwd and shadow file out of a master server and into the
client(s).  It also has a shellcommands and editfiles action sequence that
preserves the original root password on the client.

On the other hand, cf.update is a file to update the configuration of a
standard network service.  It copies $(host).service.conf from a standard
location on the network into /etc, then links service.conf to that file.
It the runs /etc/init.d/service reload.

My question is, is there a standard way of running these recipes from a
central location, "pushing" them out only to the machines where they're
needed?  Is it best to keep them in separate executable scripts, or is
there some way to merge it all into cfengine.conf?  The latter would
involve cfengine.conf having multiple action sequences, since, for
example, cf.copy runs shellcommands first, but cf.update runs
shellcommands last.

I guess what I'd like is to know what others have done for situations like
this.

Thanks,
Alex

# Alex Gottschalk                                      Systems Administrator #
# alexgo@stanford.edu                                    Stanford University #
# (650) 724-7668 desk                                         HighWire Press #
# (650) 823-7123 mobile                  <URL:http://highwire.stanford.edu/> #