Re: Bugs and features

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: Bugs and features
Date: 25 Sep 2001 07:07:47 +0200

    Ted> Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no writes:
    >> What's the point? If you wnat to use rsync, use rsync. If you
    >> want fast, straightforward and efficient, use cfengine.  You
    >> can always run rsync as a shellcommand....

    Ted> I respectfully submit that rsync is fast, straightforward,
    Ted> and efficient for a whole lot of tasks.  cfengine's copies
    Ted> are an alternate approach, but rsync's approach is valid and
    Ted> quite useful to many users.  Also, rsync can run over ssh.

    Ted> I already run rsync as a shellcommand.  By the lack of
    Ted> response I would guess I'm the only one that is interested in
    Ted> a rsync section.

I agree with Mark, a rsync section is unneccesary. BUT, having a rsync
flag for copy could possibly be interesting for large files over slow
links. An example, virus pattern files are becoming larger and larger,
you want to update an updated pattern file to several servers over
slower links, copy would do a straight copy, but using the rsync flag,
the copy would make use of rsync's protocol. Note, I'm not talking
about "running" rsync here, but talking about using librsync (if it
exists, there has been talk of it on the mailing lists at least) on
either end so that only the changes would be sent over the wire.

At any rate, if people want this then I suggest they start writing
some code :-)

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--