Problems compiling on Solaris

From: Jay Williamson
Subject: Problems compiling on Solaris
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:56:04 -0400

Stupid problem I hope.

No matter which Sun box I compile on (SPARC5 or ULTRA5) or which Solaris

version (2.5.1, 7.0 or 8.0) or which compiler I use (gcc 2.95.3, gcc
2.95.2 or SunC 4.2) some of the executables end up with special
executable flags on them. See the output of the UNIX 'file' command from

the 'src' directory. The 'SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+ Required,
UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required' binaries will not run on a SPARC5 even
though it was compiled on a SPARC5. I have tried every variation that I
can to track down this problem (I even recompiled gcc on the SPARC5 to
make sure). 'cfrun' is the only one without the extra options.This
doesn't happen
with any other software that I have found ... I'm stumped.

cfd:            ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+
Required, UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not
stripped

cfengine:       ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+
Required, UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not
stripped

cfkey:          ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+
Required, UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not
stripped

cfrun:          ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically
linked, not stripped