Re: FW: find file changes

From: Hermann Biller
Subject: Re: FW: find file changes
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:15:45 +0200 (MES)

>     Hermann> i hoped to get hints from other cfengine users, already
>     Hermann> walked through this questions.
>
> I don't get this discussion :-
>
> - if you only want a warning about files that have changed then :-
>
>   copy:
>
>         <file> action=warn type=checksum
>
> If you then wish to update then run cfengine using -D :-
>
> cfengine -Ddo_update
>
> and have :
>
>   copy:
>
>        do_update::
>         <file> action=fix type=checksum
>
> Perhaps I'm not getting what this discussion is all about <shrugs>.

i realized in another situatian a solution based on copy:
it did copy files from a server from 4 hirarchical groups:

1. files common on every system
2. files common on an OS version
3. files according to internal netgroups
4. files that only occurs on one host
(btw a lot of ././././ have been neccessary to make cfengine copy a file
multiple times B-)

this solution was not bad but i try to find a better one now.
especially it will be better to merge step 1 and 2 to step 2. the permissions of
the configuration files are general slightly different between the OS.
(esp. the different group permissions)
the host and netgroup specific files can be replaces by a commencing editfile
section.
there can be defined deviations from the rule.

but checking the files will lead to a side effect:
e.q. we have a standard /etc/services for the OS. first copy the standard, then
add the
host-specific services.
making the dry-run whith action=warn will make the copy complain, that it is
not the
same file.

so it probably should be done by an additional files command.
further recommendations?

regards, hermann