cfenvd doesn't restart

From: Andrew Stribblehill
Subject: cfenvd doesn't restart
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:37:31 +0000

I'm packaging cfengine-2.0.a15 for Debian. However, I run into the
following problem:

When I stop then *immediately afterwards* start cfenvd, though the
daemon returns an exit code of 0 and logs 'cfenvd starting' into
syslog, I find that the process actually is not running.

If I turn on debugging (cfenvd -d0) it explains that it is "Too soon
for cfenvd.daemon (3/10 minutes elapsed)".

My question: is this expected behaviour? If so, could it be
documented? At the very least, could the 'Too soon for cfenvd.daemon'
message be logged even without -d0?

Okay, here's what _I_ would like ideally.

* cfenvd starts and if it hits a lock, it sleeps till it can start
  working.

* If cfenvd can not start with the reasonable expectation of being
  able to run, it should exit with a non-zero error code.

As things stand, I can't let the cfengine2 package be upgraded, since
that requires a re-start of the daemon.

So, is this a reasonable pair of goals for me to aim towards? I'm
happy to start coding it up, iff it's acceptable.

--
BISCAY
NORTHEASTERLY 3 OR 4. SHOWERS DYING OUT. GOOD