Re: cfenvd doesn't restart

From: Matt Armstrong
Subject: Re: cfenvd doesn't restart
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:58:52 -0700

Andrew Stribblehill <a.d.stribblehill@durham.ac.uk> writes:

> I'm packaging cfengine-2.0.a15 for Debian. However, I run into the
> following problem:
>
> When I stop then *immediately afterwards* start cfenvd, though the
> daemon returns an exit code of 0 and logs 'cfenvd starting' into
> syslog, I find that the process actually is not running.
>
> If I turn on debugging (cfenvd -d0) it explains that it is "Too soon
> for cfenvd.daemon (3/10 minutes elapsed)".
>
> My question: is this expected behaviour? If so, could it be
> documented? At the very least, could the 'Too soon for
> cfenvd.daemon' message be logged even without -d0?

Would the "cfengine way" be to have the spawning of the cfenvd daemon
itself be under cfengine control?  It isn't the end of the world if
cfenvd isn't running for an hour or even a day, so long as cfengine
will eventually come along and start it.  Could the default debian
cfengine.conf just do this?

processes:
    debian::
        "cfenvd" restart "/etc/init.d/cfenvd start"

--
matt