Re: Install instructions for cfengine 2?

From: Andrew Stribblehill
Subject: Re: Install instructions for cfengine 2?
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:48:00 +0000

Quoting Lumpkin, Buddy <Buddy.Lumpkin@nordstrom.com>:

> Forgive me if this is a stupid question but are there install docs
> for cfengine 2? It looks like there is a fairly complete manual for
> 1.6 and a migration guide for cfengine 2 but my first exposure to
> cfengine will be 2.0 so a doc that makes reference to the old way
> is worthless to me.

Since 2.0 is still in alpha, the documentation isn't up to speed just
yet, I guess.

However, if you read the cfengine 1 documents you won't go far wrong.
Most of the executables have changed name. So when you hear about the
'cfengine' command, read 'cfagent'.

For 'cfd', read 'cfservd' but also note that AutoExecInterval has
been obsoleted by the new daemon 'cfexecd'.

There's also a new daemon, 'cfenvd' which takes no configuration. It
notes "environmental data" for the system such as free space on the
root partition, number of network sockets open on particular sockets,
number of user and root processes. With this data, it computes the
mean and standard deviation, so you can construct rules in cfagent to
mean: "If the number of inbound IRC connections is more than 2
standard deviations from the mean, kill them all." etc.

> I noticed the sample config files and they look pretty straight
> forward but I don't even know how to start cfengine now that I have
> compiled and installed it. Do I start a single daemon on each
> server?

If you want to be allowing remote machines to prod cfengine into
action, or you need to serve files using cfengine, you need
'cfservd'.

If you want to run cfagent periodically, you either want cron to run
'cfexecd -F' or just run 'cfexecd' and it'll start as a daemon.

If you might conceivably want to use environmental data (even a while
into the future) you should be running 'cfenvd'.

--
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE FORTIES CROMARTY FORTH
SOUTHWESTERLY 4 OR 5 OCCASIONALLY 6. OCCASIONAL RAIN. MODERATE OR