Re: Need assistance in determining if an rpm is installed

From: Rune Mossige
Subject: Re: Need assistance in determining if an rpm is installed
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:54:40 +0100

On (15/01/02 10:49), Adrian Phillips wrote:
> To: Rune Mossige <runemo@stavanger.geco-prakla.slb.com>
> Cc: help-cfengine@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Need assistance in determining if an rpm is installed
> From: Adrian Phillips <a.phillips@dnmi.no>
> Date: 15 Jan 2002 10:49:23 +0100
> Sender: "Adrian Phillips,,," <a.phillips@dnmi.no>

>     Rune> Hello, I am working on a stock RedHat 7.2 system, and I
>     Rune> would like to set up a section that will check if some
>     Rune> specific RPM's installed. And, if they are not there, the I
>     Rune> want to install them. I am using 2.0.a15.
>
>     Rune> In my cfagent.conf file, I have:
>
>     Rune> groups: linux:: have_openmotif-2_1_30-8 = ( "/bin/rpm -q
>     Rune> openmotif-2.1.30-8" )
>
> I'm using 1.6 still but can you have have a class within a class,
> ie. linux:: in the groups section ?

I do not know for sure...I thought this was allowed? If not, how do I
then get different tests to run on different OS'es? Do You have a
suggestion of how to do this task in a different way?

I was thinking of skipping the groups stuff all-together, and just use a
shellcommands, behind a special class that was only executed during
system boot, e.g. /var/cfengine/bin/cfagent -DBOOT, so that new RPM's
are only installed during a system boot....but I still want to be able
to install a new rpm on a running system.

> Sincerely,
>
> Adrian Phillips
>
> --
> Your mouse has moved.
> Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect.
> Reboot now?  [OK]

           (-: Hiroshima 45, Chernobyl 86, Windows 95 :-)
Our ultimate goal is to make overloaded systems appear to be idle.
High performance, High reliability, Low cost -------- Pick any two.
Rune  Mossige,  Systems  Support  Engineer,  WesternGeco, Stavanger
Tel: (+47)51946869                             Mobile:(+47)90871024