cfrun,cfservd, and cfservd.conf:admit

From: Alexander Jolk
Subject: cfrun,cfservd, and cfservd.conf:admit
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:35:36 +0100

(Had posted this to gnu.cfengine.help newsgroup, but it seems nobody
reads that.  Sorry if you've seen it before.)

Hi,

Still setting up over here, and getting the hang of it...

Here's how I understood it: as a sys admin, you run `cfrun' on any host,
which contacts every host on my network and triggers a cfagent run over
there. Right?  Observation 1: cfrun will look for cfrun.hosts only in
the current dir, and not in /var/cfengine/inputs/, right?  Why?

The daemon responsable for running cfagent at the other end is cfservd.
The command it runs is defined as cfrunCommand in its configuration
file, cfservd.conf.  Observation 2: I *always* get an error message from
cfservd, saying `Input file cfservd.conf missing or busy.. '  Where does
that come from? The file is there,in /var/cfengine/inputs, where it had
been found upon cfservd start.

Observation 3, and one that I haven't been able to gather from the doc:
in order for this to work, you have to grant access to the cfagent
binary to the contacting host.  The admit: section not only defines
access rights for copying, which was clear to me, but also execution
rights.  Correct?

And now if someone could hint me to whether I can have cfrun contact
only a subset of my hosts...

Alex