Re: copy errors

From: Arnauld Michelizza
Subject: Re: copy errors
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:36:34 +0100 (CET)

On 4 Feb 2002, Adrian Phillips wrote:

>     Arnauld> On 4 Feb 2002, Adrian Phillips wrote: The trouble are 1/
>     Arnauld> it make a copy of every
>     >>  Because you have recurse=inf, try recurse=1 (or 2 or 3).
>
>     Arnauld> Well, I think that I wasn't very clear. When I use
>     Arnauld> 'include' directive, cfagent exclude files that don't
>     Arnauld> match the patterns, so it's ok. But it doesn't exclude
>     Arnauld> directories. That way, it creates a lot of empty
>     Arnauld> directories.
>
> Try using ignore, not exclude.

I didn't use 'exclude' at all ! I use 'include'. Well, let me explain with
a quick example.
Suppose we have a directory like the following :
   /dir/x.cfg
   /dir/a/y.cfg
   /dir/b/z

I want to copy every *.cfg on my host, so I use the following rule :
   copy:
        myhost::
                /dir
                        server=server.my.domain
                        dest=/tmp
                        recurse=inf
                        include=*.cfg

And here is the tree I obtain :
   /dir/x.cfg
   /dir/a/y.cfg
   /dir/b  <--- that dir was copied even if it doesn't have any *.cfg file !
   ^^^^^^

You see what I mean ?

>     Arnauld> sub-directories 2/ it takes a looong time to check and
>     Arnauld> copy everythings
>     >>  How many files/directories are under /etc ? Its going to take
>     >> some time depending upon machine type/machine load/filesystem,
>     >> etc, etc.
>
>     Arnauld> Comparing to rsync, it takes a big amount of time.  I
>     Arnauld> copied a directory (/etc) with about 2000 files. The
>     Arnauld> total size is about 6M. With rsync, it took about 6 sec,
>     Arnauld> and with cfagent / cfservd, it took about 45 sec.
>
> And you said this was with version 2 ? Is there a lot fo other
> processing to be done and what kind of link is there between the 2
> machines.

It was the only stuff. I think that, this is not the transfert of files
which took so much time because when I launched cfagent again, there was
no other transfert but it took about 35 sec.

--
Arnauld Michelizza
01 41 66 47 19