Re: Patching Solaris machines with cfengine

From: Ian Wallace
Subject: Re: Patching Solaris machines with cfengine
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:15:22 -0700

I agree with K that you shouldn't just go winging patches on machines,
however we use cfengine, along with a list of patches that should be applied
and the CheckPatches, GetApplyPatch scripts that you can get from Sun to
automate the whole process.

We haven't run into any problems yet (cross my fingers, etc).  We tend not to
worry about the fact that you should be rebooting machines after kernel
patches etc.  All of our environments are development only and we take that
risk knowingly.  I guess we'd rather patch the machines then not patch at all.

Production is a whole different ball game.

If you want more info just say so and I can share the cfservd configuration,
one line shellcommands that we use for this.

cheers
ian