Re: Starting Daemons

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Starting Daemons
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:08:14 -0500

"Brian E. Seppanen" <seppy@chartermi.net> writes:

> My thoughts were that this daemon restart script does fork into the
> background but part of the init script writes to the terminal's Standard
> Out, and it might not want to close this.   I've tried getting rid of
> anything that might actually send output or input to the terminal

Have you checked the cgi script:

        if test -x $NetsaintCGI/daemonchk.cgi; then
                if $NetsaintCGI/daemonchk.cgi -l $NetsaintRun; then

That might be the problem.  The rest looks OK detached.

You say snmpd fails too, though.  Maybe the problem is elsewhere.

Try this: comment the shell script out entirely, and see if it works
udner cfengine.  Now start commenting things in.  It's tedious, but it
works very well for a short script like yours.  And by starting with
a null configuration, you are ensuring the problem is not in cfengine
itself.

Ted