Large install and roll-out

From: Rune Mossige
Subject: Large install and roll-out
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:06:37 +0100

In about 4-6 weeks, we will install a 128-node dual-CPU Linux cluster,
running RedHat Linux 7.2, and I'd like to install cfengine on all those
hosts at the same time....

I guess that I am not the first, so I'd like to hear how others have
done a similar thing.

One think that I noticed, is that the cfengine install docs advises to
first install cfenvd, and let it run for a week, before cfkey is run to
generate the keys....this is not going to work for us, as we need to
start using cfengine asap.

Also, after this initial rollout, we will need to update the kernels on
all hosts very early after the initial bootstrap. How do others update a
large number of RedHat 7.2 machines with a new kernel? Is it OK to
compile on one host, and then just tar up the /lib/modules and /boot
directories, and re-run lilo on each host after untarring?

Any pointers to additional info, or example cfengine config files and
helper scripts would be appreciated.

           (-: Hiroshima 45, Chernobyl 86, Windows 95 :-)
Our ultimate goal is to make overloaded systems appear to be idle.
High performance, High reliability, Low cost -------- Pick any two.
Rune  Mossige,  Systems  Support  Engineer,  WesternGeco, Stavanger
Tel: (+47)51946869                             Mobile:(+47)90871024