Re: Server/Client

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: Server/Client
Date: 22 Mar 2002 13:10:03 +0100

    Richard> Hello, I'm working for an ISP and i'm looking in to
    Richard> Cfengine for our Debian servers. The idea is, to have one
    Richard> Cfengine 'server' and several Cfengine clients who
    Richard> connect to the server and get a new cfengine config.

    Richard> On the server i want a common file and a client specific
    Richard> file, and then via the copy option in cfengine on the
    Richard> client getting the file(s) every time (5 / 10 minutes??)
    Richard> from the server.

    Richard> Is this the right way to do it, or (and i think so) are
    Richard> there (much) better ways.

A simple way is :-

copy:
    aclass::
       /<path>/file.${host} server=<cfserver>

Have cfagent (v2) run as often as you want. You can always wrap
certain things in Minxx if you want to restrict certain actions to
certain times in the hour.

Not much else to it really, apart from some RTMFing for more details
:-)

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--