RE: link type="relative"

From: Chris Edillon
Subject: RE: link type="relative"
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:58:26 -0400 (GMT+4)

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Christopher Hahn wrote:

> I ask about the "type=relative" option because using a line like:
>
>   /foo/bar/snark/filename.ext ->! newname.ext
>
> # ./cfenginefiles/cfBINengineSTAGING.sh
> cf:qapackager:./cfenginefiles/cfBINengineSTAGING.sh:141: Links requires path
> or varitem
> cf:qapackager:./cfenginefiles/cfBINengineSTAGING.sh:141: parse error
> cfengine:qapackager::Execution terminated after parsing due to errors in
> program
>
> So, it was my thinking that fully qualifying the name (newname.ext)
> might solve my problem, but then the "type=relative" option would
> have to work, but it does not appear to.

  the "to" argument (second argument) must be either an
absolute path or a relative path.  if you write it as an
absolute path:

    /link/name -> /path/to/file

and set type=relative, the resultant path to the destination
becomes a relative one.  however, you still have to specify
the fully-qualified path so that cfengine knows where to
start from.  so, the following:

    /tmp/foo -> /data/foo

creates a link called /tmp/foo which points to the absolute
path:

% ls -l /tmp/foo
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root     3 Apr 20 12:05 /tmp/foo -> /data/foo

but using type=relative makes the path to the destination
file relative to the link itself:

    /tmp/foo -> /data/foo  type=relative

% ls -l /tmp/foo
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root     3 Apr 20 12:05 /tmp/foo -> ../data/foo

so the following two arguments to a links: command end up
giving you the same results:

    /tmp/a -> /tmp/b  type=relative
    /tmp/a -> ./b

both producing:

% ls -l /tmp/a
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root     3 Apr 20 12:05 /tmp/a -> ./b

hope this helps,
 chris