Re: Cfservd access through firewall - dangerous ?

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: Cfservd access through firewall - dangerous ?
Date: 29 Apr 2002 11:47:03 +0200

    Adrian> I'd been thinking about how machines external to our
    Adrian> firewall could have access to cfservd, and basically had
    Adrian> resigned myself to skipping copy and using scp or rsync to
    Adrian> copy files to them.

    Adrian> Somebody posted that they open a hole/tunnel in the
    Adrian> firewall to the cfservd which I thought could be a

    Adrian> I suppose one solution to this concern is to mirror the
    Adrian> cfengine setup to an external cfengine server.

Actually, one suggestion from the director was to mirror to another
internal machine, our internal machines use the main server and the
firewall would tunnel to the copy. If the copy somehow gets cracked
then only our external machines would be comprimised. This could be
expanded further to have a seperate cfservd for a primary external
system and another for the backup system (most of our applications
have a primary and backup).

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--