Allow|DenyConnectionsFrom wildcard matching in 2.0.0

From: Frank Smith
Subject: Allow|DenyConnectionsFrom wildcard matching in 2.0.0
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 16:08:10 -0500

Upon trying to add a new client to a cfengine setup, I discovered an
unexpected result of wildcard matches.  The examples show that the
allow and deny can be either addresses (w.x.y.z) or subnets (w.x.y).
 It appears that it is actually a substring match that is being
performed which has some unusual results.  I had this entry in my
cfservd.conf:

DenyConnectionsFrom = ( 10.1.38.8 )

This was working as I expected.  Then when I tried to set up a host
that happened to be 10.1.38.84 I kept getting connection refused
messages from cservd.  After much trial and error I figured out that
the deny rule was matching 10.1.38.8* as well as 10.1.38.8, so I
had to change the deny rule to be ( 10.1.38.08 ) so that .84 would
work, but now I'm not sure if I'm still denying 10.1.38.8
  Does anyone know exactly how the wildcards work?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith@hoovers.com
Systems Administrator                                     Voice: 512-374-4673