Re: Creating dir and fixing permissions on existing dirs

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: Creating dir and fixing permissions on existing dirs
Date: 11 May 2002 08:45:22 +0200

    Mark> On 10 May, Adrian Phillips wrote:
    >>  Am I being dense here - I want to have a directories, or files
    >> for that matter, that creates a directory and fixes its
    >> permissions. Now the options today seem to be :-
    >>
    >> - directories : creates but doesn't handle permissions

    Mark> (yes it does?)

Sorry, you may have understood this, but, it creates and sets
permissions the first time but doesn't fix permissions otherwise.

    >> - files, action fixdirs : fixes perms but doesn't create -
    >> files, action touch : creates but doesn't fix perms (I posted
    >> patch to fix this) - files, action create : creates but doesn't
    >> fix perms
    >>

    Mark> Why can't you just have two rules? There's no reason to do
    Mark> everything in one rule -- it doesn't cost any more or less?

Because it creates clutter. In some configurations I need to create a
lot of directories with different owners and permissions and it means
have several lines just to create and several to fix permissions
later. The problem is I want to make sure the permissions don't get
tampered with later as well otherwise I could just create.

That doesn't help with mount points either, where a directory is
created with correct permissions, the mount occurs and the directory
is suddenly owned by root again :-)

    Mark> I need to look at this more closely. I haven't had time to
    Mark> look at the mail recently.

I had wondered. Anyway, I'm going to sort out a patch for my own use
again, I'll post it here for general consumption and let you or any
others comment as time permits.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--