Re: Mirroring / distributing large amounts of data

From: Mark . Burgess
Subject: Re: Mirroring / distributing large amounts of data
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 17:30:59 +0200 (MET DST)

In a paper (not written by me) in 2001, with the older (slower)
protocol, it was shown that cfengine was *faster* tham rsync
at distributing files first time around. Rsync is faster at
updating certain kinds of changes (that the algorithm was designed
for -- small changes to large files). If cfengine is slower
at certain things it is because it is doing extra checking
for security reasons, but that applies to secure copy. This
is also much faster since version 2, so I do not know of any
real studies on this.

In short, I just do not believe the asssertion that cfengine
is slow at copying  large amounts of filespace, compared
to rsync. It doesn't tally with experiments done. Is this
just an assumption, or have you actually tried to measure
it and compare?

I am not keen on the idea of including librsync in cfengine.
It would not be a straightforward task, and cfengine is much
more security conscious than rsync. Sometimes there is a reason
to take your time and check stuff.

Work: +47 22453272            Email:  Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no
Fax : +47 22453205            WWW  :  http://www.iu.hio.no/~mark