copy and file permission

From: Sabrina Lautier
Subject: copy and file permission
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:33:53 +0200

Hi !

I'm a cfengine newbie but very motivated to go further into this
product :).

I post this email not to solve a pb but just to find an answer to my
question.

I've got 2 machines: 1 linux cfengine server and 1 solaris client.

On the server, the file cfservd.conf contains the temporary following
line:
SkipVerify = ( client_IP_@ )
because it hasn't been declared into the DNS yet and won't be
declared before 2 weeks.
The daemon cfservd is running as root.
$ ps -ef | grep cfservd
| root 15023 1 ... ${CFENGINEPATH}/cfservd

When I run cfagent (as root) on the client to update cfengine itself
from the server everything is fine - ie cfengine is updated.
When I run cfagent (as root) on the client to update openssh from the
server (cfagent -v -Dcfagent) it starts copying the requested files
but get stucked on the binary file 'bin/ssh'.

Here are the log messages on the server side (/var/log/messages):
cfservd[15023]: Allowing x.x.x.x to connect without checking ID (NAT)
cfservd[15023]: Allowing x.x.x.x to connect without checking ID (NAT)
cfservd[15023]: Host authorization/authentication failed or access
                denied

I've checked the permission of this file on the server:
$ ls -ls bon/ssh
| -rwx--x--x users1 group1 ...

So root hasn't read permission on this file, but does it really need
it ? I guess so as setting read permission to everybody has solved
the pb.

Aren't copies performed as user root ? Hasn't root all privilegies ?
Is there a link with this SkipVerify action ?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Sabrina