Re: Passwd file sysncs / adding/removing users.

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: Passwd file sysncs / adding/removing users.
Date: 19 Jul 2002 08:04:09 +0200

    Jason> I would like to be able to add/delete users from passwd
    Jason> files with cfengine but have only found a way (a very nice
    Jason> way indeed) to replace existing users passwords.  This
    Jason> comes in REAL handy for changing the root password on all
    Jason> of your servers, but I would like to expand it to be able
    Jason> to handle accounts that may come and go.

    Jason> I could write a script to do this, but it doesn't seem to
    Jason> be the "cfengine way."

    Jason> Any ideas on adding/deleting users in the passwd file with
    Jason> cfengine?

Well, I have been using editfiles for adding "application system"
users. I haven't thought about scaling it to handle many users
though because we're going to migrate to LDAP when we get time and
then it will be unnecssary to have users in the passwd/group files,

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.