Re: Taxing cfengine a bit

From: Paul Paradise
Subject: Re: Taxing cfengine a bit
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:34:18 -0700

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 06:24:31PM -0400, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Chris (Ducky) Chapin wrote:
> > Just thought I'd throw this out for the amusement factor:
> >
> > Our development setup right now ends up parsing a 66k conf and activates
> > 570 classes during its normal operation =)
>
> The thing I find interesting about this is that just last month a
> sysadmin from Qualcomm was asking me some basic questions about
> cfengine.  He said it's not used there.  Maybe you're in different
> depts.

That was probably me, if it was on this mailing list. :-)

No, actually we're working together, in the same department, on this
project. For those interested we're basically marrying the apt/dpkg
core with cfengine to create heirarchical class dependencies. We've
run into a number of architectural issues with scaling cfengine to the
size we need (between 2000-13000 machines), but so far it looks very
promising.

There's a good chance you'll be seeing featurerequests/patches/bugfixes
from Qualcomm sometime in the next 6 months as this progresses....

 Paul Paradise                                  paradise@qualcomm.com
 Interim Engineering Intern, QUALCOMM Incorporated       858.651.6655
 IT Host Services                                             AE-205C