Re: Software Package Management

From: Paul Paradise
Subject: Re: Software Package Management
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:29:51 -0700

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 05:50:39PM -0400, Paul Dlug wrote:
> Is there a mechanism for verifying package installation on a host and
> then upgrading, removing or installing a new package? (Specifically
> FreeBSD and Solaris packages).

Over here we were working on doing just that as part of our master
plan, although we were using debian packages across multiple
architectures. (Redhat, Solaris, and HP-UX)

The basic idea is you want to write a module that queries your package
management tool (in our case, dpkg) and then adds classes for each
package installed. Then you can perform copy, editfiles,
shellcommands, etc. based on whether a host has a package or not.

 Paul Paradise                                  paradise@qualcomm.com
 Interim Engineering Intern, QUALCOMM Incorporated       858.651.6655
 IT Host Services                                             AE-205C