Re: Software Package Management

From: John Valdes
Subject: Re: Software Package Management
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:05:30 -0500

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 04:48:04PM -0700, Darrell Fuhriman wrote:
> Paul Dlug <paul@aps.org> writes:
>
> > Is there a mechanism for verifying package installation on a host and
>
> IIRC, there was a paper presented at the LISA 2001 on doing
> exactly that.  I don't have the proceedings handy, though.

Were you thinking of CfAdmin, perhaps?  See
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa2001/tech/beadnall.html
and http://www.cfadmin.org/ (the former is currently only available to
Usenix members).

There was also a paper presented at LISA 2000 which talks about this
very thing too.  See
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa2000/ressman.html
and http://astro.uchicago.edu/~davidr/cfengine-tools (the later is in
need of updating; I'll try to update it today).  The approach
discussed in this paper is pretty much the same as the one mentioned
earlier in this thread (use a cfengine module that runs a package
management tool to query, install and remove packages and to define
classes based on what it finds or does).

John

John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
valdes@uchicago.edu                                 University of Chicago