Re: Software Package Management

From: John Valdes
Subject: Re: Software Package Management
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:23:52 -0500

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 11:06:53AM -0400, Paul Dlug wrote:
> In the actionsequence I defined my module as "module:pkgchk $(package)"
> and set the package variable above it. However I obviously need to check
> multiple packages so I either need a way to rexecute the module with
> another package or a way to allow the module to define classes like:
> package.emacs-21 so that I can check them without having to list all
> possibilities in AddInstallable. Suggestions?

As Paul indicated, you'll want your module to define classes by
outputting the list of classes.  Note, btw, that the classes it does
define shouldn't contain periods or dashes or colons.  You should
instead use underscores, as in:

+package_emacs_21

However, if I'm not mistaken, since these classes get defined at run
time and not parse time, you'll still need to list these classes in
AddInstallable, unfortunately.  You'll only need to list those for
which you've defined other cfengine actions, though, so the list need
not include every package installed on your system.

John

John Valdes                        Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics
valdes@uchicago.edu                                 University of Chicago