How can I turn symlinked directories to real files?

From: Chris Marlow
Subject: How can I turn symlinked directories to real files?
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:49:28 -0400

Hey all -

What I'm trying to do is replicate a certain package to certain clients,
but copy the links as files.  I saw that the "linktype" option is ignored
for directories, so I don't think that's going to help.

Portions of the current config are:

control:
 CopyLinks = ( * )

copy:
any.security::
        /var/local/cfenginetestbed/security
        dest=$(testbed_dir)/downloads
        r=inf
        owner=root
        group=system
        timestamps=preserv
        type=binary
        ignore=RCS
        ignore=sup
        forcedirs=true
        server=$(fileserver)
        typecheck=false

This copies symlinked files as real files, but doesn not copy over
symlinked directories.  I do, however, get the following error during the
run "cfengine: internal error, link type was [ ] in ImageCopy".  I'm
assuming this is related to the symlinked directory?

I could always create the directories by hand in the config file, but would
rather not.  The people who maintain the files in the directory are
different from those of us that maintiain the CFEngine configs.  When the
programmers make a change in the package, I don't want to have to re-check
the CFEngine configs to make sure all the directories are created...

Anyone run into this before?

-Chris Marlow