Process filters

From: J . K . Wight
Subject: Process filters
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:00:47 +0100

The documentation (online at www.cfengine.org) says that the Owner
element in a process filter is "process owner UID (quoted
regex)". Since the output of "/bin/ps auxw" contains usernames, not
UIDs, I asume names ought to be acceptable. Whatever the case, I can't
get either to work. Should this filter

   { allroot
       Owner:  "root"
       Result: "Owner"
   }

not output all processes owned by root? I've been successful with
other process filters not involving Owner, so I'm happy that the
invoking of it is correct. I'm using 2.0.3.

Does anyone else find the reporting by "action=warn" a bit
verbose. The lead-in of

cfengine:<host>: Process alert:

on every line uses up a good part of the line and ensures wrapping in
my mail reader, making the output less readable than it might
otherwise be (without going to excessively long lines). Also, I find
the repetition of the ps header line for every match unnecessary; for
me, once would be enough - just like ps.

Jim