Strings with ':'

From: David Douthitt
Subject: Strings with ':'
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:38:24 -0500

In a control section, how do I assign a string to
a variable when the string contains ':' (or any other
"list" character)?

In this case, I was using a URL:

control:
    myvar = ( ftp://name:passwd@site/some/dir/on/site )

I tried using " (double-quote), ' (single-quote),
and escaping the ":" with back-slash; nothing worked.
I use the ":" in other places as an actual list separator
(such as using $PATH!) so I don't want to just change it.

Besides, that doesn't answer the question: how do you
remove the meaning of the list separator character in
a string?