cfengine output management

From: Adam Doligalski
Subject: cfengine output management
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:29:42 +0200

Hello,

I've installed cfengine on few FreeBSD machines. Everything works fine but I have got a problem to understand logging and output management. I run cfagent via cfexecd (4 times in an hour) or cfrun command on management machine.

cfagent, cfexecd store some output in /var/cfengine directory. there appeared file cfagent..log and two other files. What they are exactly for?

I gather that cfexecd.conf file can contain smtpserver value. It should email output. But what is considered to be an output? I expect that when e.g. cfagent kills inetd process it should generate some output and email it for me. But it doesn't work as I expected - the only thing emailed are some configuration bugs. When I've corrected configuration, nothing was emailed and ran again.

And last question: does Syslog option disable other output generation?

Main reason I'm asking it about is that I'd like to have some periodical signals from cfengine that it's still running and have output what it has done (if anything).

Thanks,
        Adam