How to get cfengine to act like tar

From: Chris Marlow
Subject: How to get cfengine to act like tar
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:04:30 -0400

Hey all -

I'm trying to use CFEngine to copy our contrib tools out to 800+
servers.... The problem I'm running into is this:

I am unable to get the linked directories to copy correctly as links.  I
can get linked FILES to copy as links, but when I try to copy a linked
directory, I receive error messages like the following:

-- snip --
cfengine:axentmgr: Can't stat ../bin2/zipsplit
cfengine:axentmgr: Will not create directories for a relative filename
../bin2/zmore
Has no invariant meaning
cfengine:axentmgr: Can't stat ../bin2/zmore
cfengine:axentmgr: Will not create directories for a relative filename
../bin2/znew
Has no invariant meaning
cfengine:axentmgr: Can't stat ../bin2/znew
cfengine: internal error, link type was [] in ImageCopy
cfengine: internal error, link type was [] in ImageCopy
cfengine: internal error, link type was [] in ImageCopy
cfengine: internal error, link type was [] in ImageCopy
cfengine: internal error, link type was [] in ImageCopy
cfengine: internal error, link type was [] in ImageCopy
cfengine: internal error, link type was [] in ImageCopy
cfengine: internal error, link type was [] in ImageCopy
cfengine:axentmgr: Will not create directories for a relative filename
../../app-defaults
Has no invariant meaning
cfengine:axentmgr: Can't stat ../../app-defaults
cfengine:axentmgr: Will not create directories for a relative filename
./X11/app-defaults
Has no invariant meaning
-- unsnip --

Anyone run into this before?  The ideal solution would be to have CFEngine
acting like the tar command.... Copying files as files / links to files as
links to files / links to directories as links to directories.  Does anyone
out there have a config file that might be able to accomplish this (or
something close to it?).

Thanks,

-Chris

--------