Re: core dump

From: Frank Smith
Subject: Re: core dump
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:14:02 -0500

--On Monday, October 21, 2002 16:08:19 -0500 Benjamin Herbert
<herbert@isis.visi.com> wrote:

STarting three days ago I have not been able to run cfengine due to
Segmentation faults within cfd.  Nothing that I know of has changed.  When
the cfengine command runs on the clients, cfd quits with this error:

.
.
.
.
Listening for connections on port 5308..
Checking file updates on cfd.conf (3c925252/3db46502)
Purging Old Connections...
Done purging
Prepending xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
New connection...
***New socket 5
Spawning new thread...
Checking file updates on cfd.conf (3c925252/3db46502)
RecvSocketStream(4096)
    (Concatenated 1448 from stream)
    (Concatenated 1448 from stream)
    (Concatenated 1200 from stream)
Connecting host identifies itself as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx name.of.client
root 0
Socket caller address appears honest
name.of.server: Socket originates from
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx=name.of.client with signature        0
Attempting to look up hostname name.of.client
Segmentation fault

Do any upgrades lately? Or changes to DNS? Check your nsswitch.conf and
make sure you only have working entries for hosts (i.e., if you only
use files and DNS make sure that db, NIS, etc. aren't listed).
Do an nslookup on name.of.client and xx.xxx.xxx.xxx and make sure they
both return the same value.  I don't think a segfault is the proper
software response to a lookup failure but I have seen it happen.

Good luck,
Frank

I am running cfengine version 1.6.3-8 on redhat 7.1 boxes.

Has anbody experienced this?  Or maybe someone can point me in the right
direction.  Thanks for your time.