Re: Where is workdir?

From: Marion Hakanson
Subject: Re: Where is workdir?
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:36:34 -0800

> On 24 Oct, Marion Hakanson wrote:
> > I've got three different builds of cfengine-2.0.4, all with different
> > values of WORKDIR compiled in.  One of them uses a version-specific
> > path (something like /var/cfengine-2.0.4), so it could vary even on
> > the same platform (when testing cfengine-2.0.5, for example).
> > . . .
>
> The default workdir is always /var/cfengine. Anything else
> must have been configured by hand. Don't recommend
> changing it.
>
> Mark

People change it for all kinds of reasons, good, bad, and indifferent.
What is the risk of providing a preset (read-only) variable to help out
the cfengine programmer who has to deal with such a situation?

If someone sent you a patch implementing a pre-defined macro, would you
include it in the distribution?  Do you have a preference as to the name
of the macro?  Probably not "workdir", since that variable gets set in
a number of example config-files.  How about "default_workdir"?

Regards,

--
Marion Hakanson <hakanson@cse.ogi.edu>
CSE Computing Facilities