cfengine horror stories

From: Nate Campi
Subject: cfengine horror stories
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:33:09 -0800

I was testing cfengine and grabbed a copy from sunfreeware.com, happened
to be an old 1x version.

I introduced an error into a tidy section, so that /tmp became //tmp in
the config file.  This caused cfengine to tidy the / filesystem,
completely destroying the host.

I've since pushed out the latest 2x version via a sun package I built
myself, but I only have the agent/cfexecd running on a few
non-production hosts. I'm thinking to starting cfexecd live on all my
hosts and slowly building up the configs over time, and only introducing
changes to the production systems after I've tested on a staging
cluster.

I think this will work fine, but I'm curious about two things:

1) is the parser issue fixed so that tidying //tmp won't tidy / ?
2) are there any other horror stories anyone can share that might help
me avoid any other stupid mistakes?
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart
as men, but we will meanwhile agree to meet them halfway."  -Bernard Avishai