RE: processing order, preprocessing, etc.

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: RE: processing order, preprocessing, etc.
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 20:22:12 -0600 (CST)

Today John Wheeler said:

> I wrestled with this problem myself, combed through the archives and
> read how a few others resolved this issue. My situation is probably a
> little unique in that all the hosts I support are solaris (well most
> anyway). After performing a similar analysis I finally came up with a
> method to resolve this problem that appears to satisfy most of your
> requirements.

Yeah, this is what I expect I'll have to do, although I may go the
opposite direction; rather than having the extra work done below the level
of cfengine, I may do what TemplateTree does and have a script which
generates the cfengine configs based on other, higher-level configs.

I don't yet know enough about cfengine to know what all is possible (I'm a
newbie to this specific tool), but I basically know what I want, and I'm
going to get as close as I can before I start stepping out.  Once I do
step out of the language itself, I hope to still take advantage of
cfengine's functionality as much as possible.  I use ISconf to maintain my
packages, and I find it annoying that ISconf doesn't actually know what it
installs when it installs a package; I don't want the same thing to happen
if I use cfengine.

Thank you very much for your code and examples.  I don't suppose there's
an archive of cfengine config files out there, is there?  I would guess
that lots of people have similar OS configs for the various OSes; is there
much config reuse going on?  I think the cfengine community would benefit
considerably from having not just lots of examples, but actually reusable,
segmented configs that could at least partially just be dropped into
place.  Mmmm, CPAN....

Luke

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a
mistake when you make it again.                  -- F. P. Jones