Re: processing order, preprocessing, etc.

From: Nate Campi
Subject: Re: processing order, preprocessing, etc.
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:11:34 -0800

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 08:22:12PM -0600, Luke A. Kanies wrote:

> Thank you very much for your code and examples.  I don't suppose there's
> an archive of cfengine config files out there, is there?  I would guess
> that lots of people have similar OS configs for the various OSes; is there
> much config reuse going on?  I think the cfengine community would benefit
> considerably from having not just lots of examples, but actually reusable,
> segmented configs that could at least partially just be dropped into
> place.  Mmmm, CPAN....

I'd host such a beast, and organize it - if Mark didn't have the
time/energy to do it.

I'd love such a thing for the amount of time it could save me. Examples
such as ftp server cfengine configs on the cfengine site are great, and
more would be even better.

I'm sure people have run auditing programs/scripts like tiger and used
the output to describe exactly how their systems should look to pass the
audits. I'd love to avoid doing this myself. Granted I'd have to sanity
check and test it, but a starting point would be great. It's this sort
of thing that I currently need to merge into my cfengine configuration.

Mark, would you want to put such a thing on the main site or let the
users manage it?
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

"A computer will do what you tell it to do, but that may be much
different from what you had in mind." - JOSEPH WEIZENBAUM, quoted in
Time