compiling with BerkeleyDB installed in /usr/local...

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: compiling with BerkeleyDB installed in /usr/local...
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:40:31 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

I'm trying to compile cfengine, but I have BerkeleyDB installed in
/usr/local, not /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3.  Is there a good reason for
cfengine not supporting this configuration?

The standard method for testing this would be to attempt to compile a
snippet of code using the configured LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS, but instead
cfengine just looks for the actual directory '/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3'.
I personally can't stand it when applications force me to install tools
the way they want me to (openssl being a good example of a tool that likes
to do this), so I'm wondering if it will break anything if I just modify
the configure script to not have this requirement.

I'd like to see this fixed in the long term, but I'm not familiar enough
with how autoconf and such work to be able to make the patch myself.

--
The Roman Rule
        The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the