2.0.4 Connections Dying

From: Brian E. Seppanen
Subject: 2.0.4 Connections Dying
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:28:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi Folks:

I've had a couple of occurances where cfengine 2.0.4 on redhat linux 7.3
or 7.2 has hung, and stopped responding.  Basically my update never
completes.  The wierd thing is that the update I'm doing is the same one I
did fifteen minutes previously and it worked just fine.  I've killed the
cfengine process on the box from which I trigger it, and I've killed
cfservd on the box that it appears hung on.  What has happened is that the
socket appears to be wedged in that it stays in a close_wait state
forever, and I cannot start a new daemon.  I've left it that way for a
weekend, and it never closes.  My only recourse was to reboot the box,
which I really hate to do.  What might be causing this?

I did get this message in my logs
                                    Private decrypt failed = block type is not
02
Jan 28 09:14:32 HOST cfservd[3502]: Host authorization/authentication failed or
access denied

This is the same host authentication that worked about 15 minutes
previously.

In this situation killing cfservd freed up the socket, and I was able to
restart, but I have had two situations on a low memory host where the
socket was never freed and I had to reboot.

Anyone know of a way to force the socket closed without resorting to a
reboot?

Thanks,

Brian Seppanen
seppy@chartermi.net