Re: 'files' skipping my directories

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: 'files' skipping my directories
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:26:27 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Luke A. Kanies wrote:

> I'm trying to configure cfengine to verify the permissions on my oracle
> server, but when I use the 'files' command to try to recursively set the
> permissions of a directory, that directory gets ignored.  I've tried it on
> multiple directories and they always get ignored, whereas files never do.

I figured out the problem, kind of.

It looks like the 'files' section is only checking files, not directories.
In other words, it will correct ownership and permission problems on
files, but not on directories containing those files.

I looked at the 'directories' section, but it looks like that's
specifically for creating directories and thus can not be done
recursively.

Is there some flag I need to give 'files' to make it also check the
directories?  I really do need to manage the directory ownerships in
addition to the file ownerships.

Thanks,
Luke

--
Q.  Does Usenet help stamp out ignorance?
A.  That depends on whether by "stamp out" you mean "eliminate" or