Re: Determine file to copy based on classes

From: Wipf, Stefan
Subject: Re: Determine file to copy based on classes
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:30:45 -0600

When we first started using cfengine we thought of doing this
sort of thing and I think many cfengine users actually are, but
on second thought we realized that as the environment grows
this really becomes a very bad idea:

- should files disappear from your file structure for whatever reason
the consequences are not immediately obvious.  Cfengine would quietly
copy in files that you didn't expect it to.

- The entire scheme can easily become messy and confusing.  As you will
likely be using your classes for more than one action, you will get to
the point where you won't be able to easily tell which class is the most
specific.

- Cfengine config files are a more reliable source upon which to take
action than a filestructure.

- most infrastructures can't be broken down into a simple tree like
this anyway.  Some specific class might want to get some files from a
subclass of a completely different branch.

I admit, the following examples are more work on the config file side,
but they are easier to decipher, safer and scale better than a
filestructure based scheme.  If a file goes missing on the source side,
cfengine will complain about it and do nothing, which is way better
than quietly doing something completely unexpected.

groups:
  uniq_motd = ( class_A class_B )

copy:
  class_A::
     somedir/motd.classA   dest=/etc/motd
  class_B::
     somedir/motd.classB   dest=/etc/motd
  !uniq_motd::
     somedir/motd.default  dest=/etc/motd

or

control:
  class_A::            mysuffix = ( "classA" )
  class_B::            mysuffix = ( "classB" )
  !(class_A|class_B):: mysuffix = ( "default" )

copy:
  somedir/motd.${mysuffix} dest=/etc/motd