The cfengine way of rotating files?

From: Julian Simpson
Subject: The cfengine way of rotating files?
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:51:06 -0000

Hi,

I want to rotate and compress web/app server logfiles on my systems.  I
presently use cfengine for tidying directories, disting things like Big
Brother, etc.  I am rotating some logs with disable and the rotate=x
option, but I don't want numbered logfiles, I want a date.

I think I want to:

- copy the file to file.YYYY-MM-DD.
(okay, I can do that with the copy command if I can work out a way to
massage the date to that format)

- cat /dev/null into the original file
(disable: and then rotate=empty)

- compress the copy.
(shell command)

The thing is, I only want the actions to happen if the previous actions
completed.  And if I come up with an actionsequence of ( copy disable
shellcommands ) and declare all the logfiles in each stanza, how do I do
that?

What I want to be able to do is a shell-like:

for file in "/path/to/file1 /path/to/file2"
do
        filenew="$file.`date +%F`"
        cp $file $filenew && \
        >$file && \
        gzip $filenew
done

Is there a way to do this in cfengine, or do I just not grok the
cfengine approach?

Best,

Julian.

Julian Simpson