Re: strange warning

From: Jamie Wilkinson
Subject: Re: strange warning
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:25:37 +1100

Quoting Akop Pogosian <akopps@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>:

> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 04:13:11PM -0400, Chris Edillon wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Akop Pogosian wrote:
> >
> > > My editfiles section looks like this:
> > >
> > >   !initial::
> > >     { /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
> > >
> > >     AppendIfNoSuchLine "0 * * * * /var/LPFS/cfengine/bin/cfexecd -F"
> > >     Inform "true"
> > >     DefineClasses "restart_cron"
> > >     }
> > >
> > >   initial::
> > >     { /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
> > >
> > >     AppendIfNoSuchLine "0 * * * * /var/LPFS/cfengine/bin/cfexecd -F"
> > >     Inform "true"
> > >     }
> > >

> > > It works fine. However, when the "initial" class is defined and if
> > > cfengine is running in verbose mode (which happens only when I run
> > > "cfagent -q -v -D initial" from command line), it prints the following
> > > warning at the end:
> > >
> > > *********************************************************************
> > > Main Tree Sched: editfiles pass 2 @ Mon Feb  3 19:00:56 2003
> > > *********************************************************************
> > > cfengine:zig: Too soon for editfile._var_spool_cron_crontabs_root (0/1
> > > minutes )
> > >
> >   the default IfElapsed time is 1 minute, and this message indicates
> > that for the particular atomic action cfagent is trying to execute
> > (editing /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root), has already occured within
> > the last minute.  do you happen to be running "cfagent -vq -D initial"
> > just after the normal cfagent run, or after running it by hand without
> > defining "initial"?  that would cause the behavior you're seeing.  try
> > waiting at least a minute after the last cfagent run before trying it
> > from the command line with "-D initial".
>
> No, I made sure to wait for longer than a minute before running this
> command. That's why this warning surprises me.

I've noticed cfagent actually do 2 passes (hence the "pass 2") in the message
above.  If you save the output of cfagent you'll notice it does everything, then
 goes back and tries to do it all again (but this time with a notice that
everything happened less than a minute ago).  As long as the first pass is doing
the right thing, there's nothing to worry about.

Jamie